Skip to main content

Circles within circles

Photographing food involves composing plates and bowls, usually round. I find myself constantly placing circles within the rectangle of my crop. Using the rule of thirds, I use odd numbers and offset the arrangements for interesting compositions. on my courses, I encourage students to create fluid and dynamic arrangements with squares and shapes. Try and avoid the regular placing of plates unless for graphic eye-catching styles. Try and create a random placing of the plates as you compose your photograph  more at foodphotographytrainiing https://www.foodphotographytraining.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pro Tip Series #2 The best Lens for Food Photography

  Many people on my courses ask what is the best lens for food. For cropped sensor cameras with the ability to change lenses- the DX Nikon range and the APS-C for Canon I recommend this Sigma lens- Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens-item/17-70mm-f2-8-4-dc-macro-os-hsm/ I am not affiliated or employed by Sigma so my advice is un biased and accept that many have their favourite “got to” lens. Please check lens fit and compatibility when buying any lens for your camera. For full frame cameras- FX Nikon, EOS Canon I advise a lens with as similar focal length range as possible to the Sigma with the widest aperture you can afford. For example the full frame Nikon- 24mm-70mm f 2.8 is priced around £1300- ouch! A cheaper 24mm-70mm f 3.5/ f 4.5 is only £489...umm so why the big price difference for a similar focal length lens? I can hear some of you shouting at me- the difference is in the f number! The smaller the f number the ...

A leiths day

Looking back at previous courses I have added my video of the Leiths school of cookery workshop I did in 2017. Planning  for an online alternative

Sweet tooth temptations

I have just come back from my dentist feeling a bit sore and I remembered some shots I took while at London Borough Market, some fantastic meringues, macaroons and cupcakes on display. They looked so beautiful and dangerously sugary! Crazy colours I just want to dive in!