Skip to main content

I love a pie!

Two books published last month which I have worked on, the first is "The Pie Book" a hearty book by Dorling Kindersley on Pies, savoury and sweet. Some lovely Pie recipes and yes I had to try most of them.
This is the second book of  photographing the recipes of writer Caroline Bretherton, the first being the Allotment Cookbook, which I also enjoyed working on. Taking pictures of pies is essentially photographing big round things! Thankfully caroline's recipes had a good selection on classic and new, visually lovely.
The publisher also had a clear vision of the look and style of the book. Dare I say "rustic", well, country kitchen might be a safer way of describing the overall look of the pictures. Thanks goes to Kathryn Wilding and those at DK for designing a great looking book. I took the opportunity to go a bit  "moody" with the lighting with inspirational Art direction shared By Nicky Collings and Kat Mead, who both perfectly pitched the pictures, as all ways.
The food was cooked by Jane Lawrie and Rosie Reynolds, both who I love working with and produced some  perfect Pies .
A big nod to the Prop stylist Wei Tang who has an amazing sense of colour she captures the vision of the client and then adds her magic touch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pro Tip Series #2 The best Lens for Food Photography

  Many people on my courses ask what is the best lens for food. For cropped sensor cameras with the ability to change lenses- the DX Nikon range and the APS-C for Canon I recommend this Sigma lens- Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens-item/17-70mm-f2-8-4-dc-macro-os-hsm/ I am not affiliated or employed by Sigma so my advice is un biased and accept that many have their favourite “got to” lens. Please check lens fit and compatibility when buying any lens for your camera. For full frame cameras- FX Nikon, EOS Canon I advise a lens with as similar focal length range as possible to the Sigma with the widest aperture you can afford. For example the full frame Nikon- 24mm-70mm f 2.8 is priced around £1300- ouch! A cheaper 24mm-70mm f 3.5/ f 4.5 is only £489...umm so why the big price difference for a similar focal length lens? I can hear some of you shouting at me- the difference is in the f number! The smaller the f number the ...

A leiths day

Looking back at previous courses I have added my video of the Leiths school of cookery workshop I did in 2017. Planning  for an online alternative

Sweet tooth temptations

I have just come back from my dentist feeling a bit sore and I remembered some shots I took while at London Borough Market, some fantastic meringues, macaroons and cupcakes on display. They looked so beautiful and dangerously sugary! Crazy colours I just want to dive in!